Winter Holiday Hazzards and Tips

posted: by: CPH Tags: "Clinic Specials" "News" 

  • Cats and kittens like to nap on warm places, this can include car engines! Knock on the hood of your car or truck or honk the horn, then wait a few minutes before starting the engine. If in doubt, open the hood and look.
  • Antifreeze: Smells good and tastes sweet. It is also very toxic to pets. It crystallizes in the kidneys, and it may take a few days for the symptoms to show, often when it is too late. It is a deadly toxin that can kill with very small doses. Keep the containers out of reach of pets and children, and clean up any spills that occur.
  • Holiday food: Alcoholic beverage, candy, chocolate, turkey and fixing, pork , fish, bones, just to name a few hazards...keep your pet on its regular diet. It is very common for dogs to visit the Veterinarian with vomiting and diarrhea right after Thanksgiving and Christmas, and some very seriously ill. It is important to keep pets on their regular diets during the holiday season.
  • Poisonous plants: Many plants , including Christmas rose, holly, mistletoe, philodendron, dieffenbachia (see poisonous plant list) are toxic to your pet. Keep them out of your pets reach.
  • Holiday paraphernalia: Electric cords, tinsel, glass ornaments, candles, spray on-snow (some are non-toxic-read the label), ribbons, plastic or foil wrapping, etc. can be dangerous to your pet. Cover up or hide electric cords, never let your pet chew on them. Do not tie ribbons around pets’ necks or limbs. Watch out for rubber bands too.
  • Heat sources: If you light a fire or plug in a space heater to keep your home toasty warm, remember that the heat will be as attractive to your pets as to you. As your dog or cat snuggles up to the warmth, keep an eye out to make sure that no tails or paws come in contact with flames, heating coils, or hot surfaces. Pets can either burn themselves or knock a heat source over and put the entire household in danger.